Thursday, January 15, 2009

What does LTC mean to me

Long term care is usually given to people that have a chronic illness or disability. It is mostly used for people that need assistance with the activity's of daily living.
My grandma passed away less then 6 months ago. The last year of her life she had a nurse that would take care of her most of the day. This was costing my grandfather around $3,000 a month. He was not well enough to help her all day though. She had an advance form of Parkinsons disease and for the last year of her life she could barely move. She even needed help going to the bathroom. They also had to physically move her so she would not get bed sores. She started losing her memory and began forgetting who we were. She remembered my grandfather and the nurse the best because they were with her the most. Being a LTC nurse that has to deal with taking care of dying people must be really hard. Not only is it sad, she has to see my poor grandfather everyday who could not always keep it together and would be crying. It is also very hard work, moving and dealing with my grandmother was not an easy task.
This all was a very sad time for my family but it is even worse when a young adult needs LTC. My family is friends with a family that has a daughter who has to live in a nursing home. We cannot control all of our circumstances. God blesses people in varying amounts and we cannot say why. I just know how hard it is to see your grandmother in that state so I pray I never have to see a child as unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment